Daily Archives: June 11, 2012
This recipe for Blueberry Crumb Bars was adapted from AllRecipes.com. Local blueberries will be in our stores in just a few weeks and the prices will be too good to pass by. These blueberry crumb bars are really delightful served with coffee or tea or as an afternoon snack for the kids.
They are easiest to cut once they've been chilled, and store best in the fridge.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter (2 sticks or 8 ounces)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. (This took an extra 10 to 15 minutes in my oven.) Cool completely before cutting into squares.
These are easiest to cut once chilled, and store even better in the fridge than they do at room temperature–something unusual for cookies!
Fresh peaches are now in season so it is time to take advantage of all the great recipes using peaches. Peach pie is one of those recipes that says it is definitely summer. I love to serve peach pie warm out of the oven. Some like to add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to their peach pie. No matter how it is served, this peach pie satisfies.
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (sprinkled over the peaches)
- 4 cups fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Pastry for double-crust 9-inch pie
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Stir in the peach slices and fold to coat with sugar/flour mixture.
- Pour into a 9-inch unbaked pie shell. Dot with butter. Cover with top crust, seal edges and crimp. Make vents in top crust. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes until crust is golden brown.