Household Cleaning Tips
I am always looking for tips to make life easier and cleaning less stressful. Sometimes a simple household cleaning tip can save time and money. I will continue to post household cleaning tips as they come to me.
- To remove stickers – Use a hair dryer – the hot air loosens sticky labels without killing your manicure
- Brighten your laundry – Pass on the bleach and add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of lemon juice to the wash cycle. It will brighten those faded whites!
- Keep garbage disposal deodorized – Drop in a few orange peels and flip the switch
- Iron cleaner – Use a dryer sheet to remove the gunk from the bottom of your iron. With the setting on low, rub the iron over the dryer sheet until the residue disappears.
- Protect your candlesticks – Spray the inside of a votive candle holder with a thin coating of cooking spray before dropping in a tea light. After the candle has burned out, the remaining wax will slip out.
- Sparkling sink – Polish faucets, sinks, tile and shower doors with Turtle Wax. It will leave everything shiny and will add a protective barrier against water and soap buildup.
- Effortless toilet bowl cleaning – After you flush the toilet, sprinkle 1/4 cup of baking soda into the wet bowl. Take your shower and then give the bowl a single scrub. Flush to rinse.
- Keep buttons longer – Before you wear a new garment, put a little clear nail polish on the front and back of each button. Buttons will stay on longer when their threads are sealed.
- Keep zipper working – Zippers won't stick if you rub them with the edge of a bar of soap.
- To remove a hem crease – sponge the material with white vinegar and press with a warm iron.
- Remove tar and/or grease from white leather shoes – Use nail polish remover.
- Remove salt stains from shoes and boots – Use vinegar and water.
- Keep canvas shoes white – Spray them heavily with starch.
- Cleaning inside of the fridge – Never use disinfectants to clean the fridge, foods will pick up taste and odor. Wiping the inside of the fridge with vinegar helps prevent mildew because acid kills mildew fungus.
- Freezers run more efficiently when they're three-quarters or more full. When provisions drop, fill milk cartons or jugs with water and put them in the freezer to take up empty space.
- Prevent fabric from fading in laundry – When laundering clothes, add detergent to the washer first. Pouring detergent on clothing can cause fabrics to fade.
- Prevent silver from tarnishing – Place a piece of white chalk in your silver chest or jewel box to absorb moisture and help prevent tarnishing of silverware and jewelry.