Did you know?
Headache relief - Drinking 2 glasses Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately without the side effects associated with pain relievers.
Relief for burns – Colgate toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns.
Clear a stuffed nose – Try chewing on a few Altoids peppermints.
Relief for aching muscles from flu – Mix 1 Tablespoon of horseradish into a 1/2 cup of olive oil. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then apply it as a massage oil to sore muscles.
Sore throat – Mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey. Take 1 Tablespoon 6 times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.
Urinary tract infections – Cure a urinary tract infection with Alka-Seltzer. Just dissolve 2 tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. The Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost immediately even though the product was never advertised for this use.
Under-eye puffiness – A little dab of Preparation H gently rubbed into skin (avoiding eyes) will eliminate the puffiness under your eyes. The ointment acts as a vasoconstrictor, relieving swelling instantly.
Skin blemishes - Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a band-aid over it. The honey will kill the bacteria, speed healing, and keep the skin sterile. Works overnight.
Toenail fungus – Soak your toes in Listerine mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.
Boil relief - Cover the boil with Hunt's tomato paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.
Heal bruises – Soak a cotton ball in vinegar and apply it to the bruise for one hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.
Kill fleas – Add a few drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid to your dog's bath and shampoo thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skin irritation.
Wet dog smell – Next time your dog comes in from the rain, wipe him/her down with a dryer sheet. Your dog will instantly smell fresh!
Eliminate ear mites – Put a few drops of Wesson Corn Oil in your cat's ear. Massage it in, then clean ear with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and speeds up healing.
Hairballs – To prevent hairballs, apply a dollop of vaseline petroleum jelly to your cat's nose. The cat will lick off the jelly, lubricating any hair in their stomach so it can pass easily through the digestive system.
Arthritis pain – Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain
Jason Statham is definitely one of my favorite actors. I recently learned that he has been an Olympic Diver on the British National Diving Team and finished 12th in the World Championships in 1992. Interesting background.
In the Transporter Jason Statham's background in martial arts enabled him to perform his own fight scenes. How great was he in that movie? If a movie features Jason Statham, I'm going to see it!
I am always looking for tips to make life easier and cleaning less stressful. Sometimes a simple household cleaning tip can save time and money. I will continue to post household cleaning tips as they come to me.
- To remove stickers – Use a hair dryer – the hot air loosens sticky labels without killing your manicure
- Brighten your laundry – Pass on the bleach and add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of lemon juice to the wash cycle. It will brighten those faded whites!
- Keep garbage disposal deodorized – Drop in a few orange peels and flip the switch
- Iron cleaner – Use a dryer sheet to remove the gunk from the bottom of your iron. With the setting on low, rub the iron over the dryer sheet until the residue disappears.
- Protect your candlesticks – Spray the inside of a votive candle holder with a thin coating of cooking spray before dropping in a tea light. After the candle has burned out, the remaining wax will slip out.
- Sparkling sink – Polish faucets, sinks, tile and shower doors with Turtle Wax. It will leave everything shiny and will add a protective barrier against water and soap buildup.
- Effortless toilet bowl cleaning – After you flush the toilet, sprinkle 1/4 cup of baking soda into the wet bowl. Take your shower and then give the bowl a single scrub. Flush to rinse.
- Keep buttons longer – Before you wear a new garment, put a little clear nail polish on the front and back of each button. Buttons will stay on longer when their threads are sealed.
- Keep zipper working – Zippers won't stick if you rub them with the edge of a bar of soap.
- To remove a hem crease – sponge the material with white vinegar and press with a warm iron.
- Remove tar and/or grease from white leather shoes – Use nail polish remover.
- Remove salt stains from shoes and boots – Use vinegar and water.
- Keep canvas shoes white – Spray them heavily with starch.
- Cleaning inside of the fridge – Never use disinfectants to clean the fridge, foods will pick up taste and odor. Wiping the inside of the fridge with vinegar helps prevent mildew because acid kills mildew fungus.
- Freezers run more efficiently when they're three-quarters or more full. When provisions drop, fill milk cartons or jugs with water and put them in the freezer to take up empty space.
- Prevent fabric from fading in laundry – When laundering clothes, add detergent to the washer first. Pouring detergent on clothing can cause fabrics to fade.
- Prevent silver from tarnishing – Place a piece of white chalk in your silver chest or jewel box to absorb moisture and help prevent tarnishing of silverware and jewelry.