Fish and Seafood
Thai Basil Shrimp – fresh, flavorful, healthy, and delicious!!
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Fish Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. Golden Mountain Sauce (to make your own Golden Mountain Sauce, mix 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, with 2 Tbsp. vegetable or chicken stock, plus 1/4 tsp. sugar.)
- 1 Tbsp. palm sugar OR brown sugar
- 3/4 to 1 lb. medium to large shrimp, shells removed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red or green chili, finely sliced, or more to taste
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 green and 1 red bell peppers, sliced
- handful dry roasted cashews, unsalted
- 1/4 to 1/3 compressed cup fresh Thai basil (may substitute with sweet basil) - Stack leaves into a neat pile and slice them up into shreds.
- 3 Tbsp. chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Combine the ‘Stir-Fry Sauce’ ingredients together in a cup, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Set aside.
- Mince or use processor to mix together the garlic, chili, and onion until it creates a paste.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle in oil, then add the shrimp. Stir-fry 1 minute, or until shrimp are light pink on both sides.
- Add the garlic-chili paste you made earlier and continue stir-frying 1 more minute.
- Add the peppers and chicken stock. Stir-fry until peppers have softened but are still bright in color and retain some crispness. While stir-frying, add the stir-fry sauce you made earlier.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the cashews and fold in the basil.
- Taste and alter flavors if desired by adding more lime juice if too salty (this will depend on the saltiness of your stock), or more fish sauce if not salty or flavorful enough. Add more fresh-cut chili (or some dried chili flakes) for more heat. Serve with plain white or brown rice served on the side.
Coconut Shrimp are one of my favorite appetizers when I'm out at an Asian restaurant. This recipe for Beer Battered Coconut Shrimp is delicious. It offers the great coconut flavor of a coconut shrimp with the great, crunchy coating of a beer batter.
You can create any type of dipping sauce that you like. The marmalade dipping sauce below offers a very nice sweet, tart, and spicy flavor profile. It is really refreshing! Garnish with fresh cilantro if that is a flavor you enjoy!
- 1 pound peeled (tails on) and deveined fresh shrimp (preferably jumbo sized)
- 1 cup pancake mix (plain)
- 1 cup beer (a lighter beer is better)
- 2 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup coconut flakes (and more on hand just in case!)
- Light cooking oil (like canola oil)
- Rinse the shrimp well and butterfly them
- Combine pancake mix, beer and coconut milk and mix well with a whisk to remove lumps. Dredge the shrimp in flour, then beer batter, then coat with the coconut. NOTE: have this done before heating oil as they need constant attention or they will burn
- Heat the oil in sauce pan (2-3 inches deep) over medium to almost med-high (about 350 degrees F). Fry the shrimp 5 to 6 at a time, until golden brown on all edges. Drain on paper towel and serve with sauce.
For Marmalade Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup rough cut orange marmalade
- 5 Teaspoons minced, fresh ginger
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 – 3/4 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
Tuna Casserole is has many faces. Everyone has had a tuna casserole at some point and most of us have a favorite recipe for a tuna casserole.
This recipe for tuna casserole is one of my favorites. It is like a super creamy mac and cheese with tuna. Tuna is always something on my pantry shelf as are these condensed soups. In fact, I always have some kind of pasta in the pantry as well so it this is recipe that I often make when I don't feel like running to the store or fussing much.
- 2 cups uncooked small macaroni or penne pasta
- 2 cans (5 oz) albacore tuna, drained
- 1 can (10.75 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 can (10.75 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (14.5 oz) green peas
- 1- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 can (6 oz) french fried onion rings (optional)
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- While macaroni is cooking, mix the rest of the ingredients (except onion rings) in a sauce pan over medium heat until cheese is melted.
- Drain macaroni and combine with the sauce. Pour into a buttered casserole dish.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place onion rings on top. Return to the oven and bake uncovered for 10 minutes until the casserole is bubbly and onion rings are toasted.
- Let stand for about 15 minutes before serving.