This Brown Rice salad with Bok Choy and Orange Sesame Dressing is a very versatile salad that can be made with or without chicken. It is full of healthy ingredients and packed with flavor. This is a fun salad to bring to a party because it is easy to make and can be done ahead of time, stored in an air-tight container and brought out right before serving.
For the salad:
- 4 cups brown rice, cooked and cooled
- 1½ cups cooked shredded chicken (optional)
- 1½ cups shredded carrot
- 3 baby bok choy, rinsed, trimmed, and thinly sliced
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
Orange Sesame Dressing
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1½ tbsp. soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup canola oil
To make the salad:
- Combine the brown rice, chicken, shredded carrot, bok choy, peas, cilantro, scallions and sesame seeds in a large bowl. Toss gently to combine.
To make the Orange Sesame dressing:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl or liquid measuring cup. Whisk vigorously until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Add the dressing to the bowl with the salad, a bit at a time, tossing gently to coat. Taste and add more dressing as necessary.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Balsamic Vinaigrette is a good dressing to have in the fridge. It will bring life to most anything. Add this balsamic vinaigrette to your favorite salad. Include some blue cheese, croutons, and sliced chicken and make this a meal. Drizzle balsamic vinaigrette onto grilled fish or chicken to add a flavor boost.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Whisk the vinegar in a bowl with the brown sugar, garlic, salt and pepper until sugar and salt dissolves. Then whisk in the oil bit by bit, whisking constantly. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing is great served over a wedge of iceberg, a tossed salad, or as a dip for vegetables or chicken wings. If you want to add a kick, add a teaspoon of wasabi paste! Enjoy.
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Combine all ingredients.